Ricky Martin speaks out after ‘devastating’ incest and abuse claims dropped

Ricky Martin has spoken of his relief after his nephew dropped his incest and abuse allegations against him.

A court in Puerto Rico dismissed its case against Ricky Martin on Thursday (21 July) after his nephew, 21-year-old Dennis Yadiel Sanchez, voluntarily withdrew his claims the two had shared a sexual relationship, and that Martin had stalked him after they broke up.

temporary restraining order brought against Martin was dropped as a result.

Lawyers for the 50-year-old singer had vehemently denied allegations he had been in a seven-month relationship with his nephew. After he was vindicated in court, Martin opened up about the “painful” experience.

In a video obtained by TMZ, Martin said: “I’m in front of the cameras today because I really need to talk in order for me to start the healing process.

“For two weeks I was not allowed to defend myself because I was following a procedure where the law obligated me not to talk until I was in front of a judge.

“Thank God these claims were proven to be false but I’m going to tell you the truth. It has been so painful. It has been devastating for me, my family, my friends. I don’t wish this upon anybody.”

He said of his nephew: “I wish him the best and I wish he finds the help so he can start a new life filled with love and truth and joy and that he doesn’t hurt anyone else.”

Truth prevails.

Swipe right for English pic.twitter.com/4Q7UOHCi7e

— Ricky Martin (@ricky_martin) July 21, 2022

The dismissal of the case ends a saga that shocked and disturbed many.

Sanchez, Martin’s sister’s son, alleged he had a sexual relationship with Martin in an anonymous complaint under Puerto Rico’s Domestic Abuse Prevention and Intervention Act.

The subsequent restraining order claimed that he and Martin broke up around two months ago, but that Martin did not accept the breakup, lingering outside of Sanchez’s house on several occasions. Sanchez also alleged that Martin subjected him to “physical and psychological” abuse.

Martin’s lawyers said in a statement on Twitter: “Just as we had anticipated, the temporary protection order was not extended by the court.

“The accuser confirmed to the court that his decision to dismiss the matter was his alone, without any outside influence or pressure, and the accuser confirmed he was satisfied with his legal representation in the matter. The request came from the accuser asking to dismiss the case.

“This was never anything more than a troubled individual making false allegations with absolutely nothing to substantiate them.”

A previous statement from Martin’s lawyer, Marty Singer, claimed that the accusations were “not only untrue but disgusting”.

Martin added in the clip after the case was dismissed: “You have no idea the strength that you [his fans] gave me with every comment you wrote on social media.

“I wish you love and light, here we come with the same strength and passion. God bless you all.”

The post Ricky Martin speaks out after ‘devastating’ incest and abuse claims dropped appeared first on PinkNews | Latest lesbian, gay, bi and trans news | LGBTQ+ news.